Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountains or the Beach?
Are you most comfortable, get the most enjoyment, relate the best to the mountains or to the beach?  Why?  Each is nice but if I had to pick one it would be the beach.  My family takes a beach trip once a year and it is one of the few places on the earth where I truly relax and "deprogram" from busy life.  There is just something about the smell and sound of the ocean and the flowing air and rhythm of the waves that literally stops time for me.  I love reading a book, walking along the surf looking for shells, building or excavating sand with my kids, etc.  I'm not a fan of the crowded, commercialized beaches but enjoy the laid back, low key ones.  My wife and I would consider moving close to the coast at some point in the future.  Right now we can get to the mountains in about an hour and a half drive and we're a little over 4 hours away from the North Carolina coast.
I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains, about a mile from the Parkway. Still live in the foothills of the same mountain range today. Even though I am two states away from my birth place. I'm at home as long as I am able see see them even from a far. But, I like the coast immensely. The food, the smell and the tide. However yo maximize the experience of the coast I would need s center console Grady White boat!! I'd get tired of the scrub pines and miss hardwoods. I like both. I am blessed to live in an are where both are available with little effort.
Either one works for me.

A few year's back we spent a long weekend at a mountain cabin in Boone with a large group of extended family. Smoked and grilled some food, cooled off in the creek, and enjoyed some fires in the fire pit with some cold beer. It was great!

This summer we went to the beach with my aunt, cousin & her husband and ids and one of my aunt's other granddaughters. I went out in the water twice three times the entire week. I spent most of my time under the house either cooking or just kicked back drinking a cold beer or twelve. It was great as well.

I pretty much guess I could relax anywhere that I can sit back with a cold one, fire up the grill or smoker and just chill. I don't understand the people who have to have an itinerary for a vacation and always on the go. I guess I was lucky when my kids were younger in that they never had any desire to go to Disney or anywhere like that. We took them to Carowinds once when they were younger and halfway through the day they were like "Can we go now?". Both of them are pretty much like me and when it's time to relax let's just relax.
I am a Mountain man. I've been taking my family to the Smoky Mountains for years.
[Image: polls_3043150_2610_514040_answer_6_xlarge.jpeg]
We take a family trip to the Gulf every year… My wife and Son love it, I can only take 36-hours of beach life before I want to leave.

I keep telling my Wife if we would purchase a rental cabin in the North Georgia Mountains, then not only would we have
some income and a place we could use as a get-away, but we also could trade time with someone that owns property in Destin.

So far I have failed in convincing her that this endeavor is a win/win.
It depends on which mountains we are talking about. I grew up near the Ozarks and Ouchitas. I would take those over the beach in a heartbeat. If we are talking about the Rocky Mountains or other ranges out west, I would prefer the beach.

I would take the lake or river over both of them.
Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
[Image: facebook.png] [Image: Twitter%20Icon.jpg]
Beach !!
(02-07-2015, 12:18 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote: It depends on which mountains we are talking about. I grew up near the Ozarks and Ouchitas. I would take those over the beach in a heartbeat. If we are talking about the Rocky Mountains or other ranges out west, I would prefer the beach.

I would take the lake or river over both of them.

Mountains and beaches in general. I've never been to the Rockies or to the western coastal ranges. My experience is solely from the perspective of the appalachians and, in particular, the Blue Ridge (Virginia and North Carolina) and the Black (North Carolina sub of the Blue Ridge) mountain ranges.
Well since I live at Southport I'm going with beach! I tell my wife all the time that we stopped too far North!
Mountains. I lived right on the water when I was in Puerto Rico and the salt corroded everything.
[Image: TROP.jpg]