Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's an interesting fact about your state?
Oklahoma was home and the place where the last Confederate General to surrendered to union forces.
Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
[Image: facebook.png] [Image: Twitter%20Icon.jpg]
We are the only state to have Parishes instead of Counties.
(11-20-2014, 03:41 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote: We are the only state to have Parishes instead of Counties.

what is the difference? I never really understood what those are.
Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
[Image: facebook.png] [Image: Twitter%20Icon.jpg]
Birthplace of both aviation and first astronauts.
Home of the Manhattan Project.
(11-20-2014, 03:44 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 03:41 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote: We are the only state to have Parishes instead of Counties.

what is the difference? I never really understood what those are.

Nothing but the name as far as I know... A quick Google search gave me this, interesting.

A lot of our laws are still based on the Napoleonic Code (as in Napoleon Bonaparte). Therefore, we have parishes and not counties.
In 1803 the United States paid France $15 million for the Louisiana Territory. 828,000 square miles of land west of the Mississippi River. The lands acquired stretched from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains and from the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border. Thirteen states were carved from the Louisiana Territory. The Louisiana Purchase nearly doubled the size of the United States.
Root Beer was invented in Biloxi, Mississippi, in 1898 by Edward Adolf Barq, Sr.
Baton Rouge hosted the 1983 Special Olympics International Summer Games at LSU.

^ ^ This is actually where I met gdunn. I rescued him out of the 2' wading pool.
(11-20-2014, 04:33 PM)LSU04_08 Wrote: Baton Rouge hosted the 1983 Special Olympics International Summer Games at LSU.

^ ^ This is actually where I met gdunn. I rescued him out of the 2' wading pool.

Joke's on you.. I'd only been a year old at the time.. Actually I'd been 20 months.