Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do women from the 1800's always
look ugly in their pictures? Were they really that ugly or are the pictures just bad pictures?

Mattie Blaylock (Wyatt Earp's first wife)
[Image: 210px-Celia_ann_mattie_blaylock.jpg]

Josephine Marcus (Wyatt Earp's last wife)
[Image: 210px-Josephine-Sarah-Marcus-c1881.jpg]

Kate Elder (Big Nose Kate. Doc Holliday's girl)
[Image: big_nose_kate_photo(1).jpg]

Martha Jane Burke (Calamity Jane)
[Image: 13091-004-4770D9FA.jpg]

Annie Oakley (Best looking, by far, from that era)
[Image: 375px-Annie_Oakley_-_Full_length_photogr...a_1899.jpg]

And last but not least, going back to the 17th century, lets look at how twisted they got Pocahontas...

Real Pocahontas
[Image: PocahontasPainting.jpg]

Portrayed Pocahontas
[Image: pocahontas--large-msg-131948755786.jpg]
I've often wondered this myself. The ideal body was a lot different back then.
Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
[Image: facebook.png] [Image: Twitter%20Icon.jpg]
(11-06-2014, 02:42 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote: I've often wondered this myself. The ideal body was a lot different back then.

This. Exactly. This was a time period when women were considered 'handsome' rather than beautiful.

In the 1800s I would imagine women who weren't from the city were expected to be hardy because a lot of them worked just as hard on the farm as the men did.
Pictorial proof that Indians had sex with buffalo.
"Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight, come out tonight, come out tonight"
(11-06-2014, 03:00 PM)BucFyre Wrote:
(11-06-2014, 02:42 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote: I've often wondered this myself. The ideal body was a lot different back then.

This. Exactly. This was a time period when women were considered 'handsome' rather than beautiful.

In the 1800s I would imagine women who weren't from the city were expected to be hardy because a lot of them worked just as hard on the farm as the men did.

and men were probably attracted to that because they were accustomed to women playing different roles. I would imagine the women of that time put their interests in things other than the best makeup applications and spinning class.
(11-06-2014, 03:06 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:

and men were probably attracted to that because they were accustomed to women playing different roles. I would imagine the women of that time put their interests in things other than the best makeup applications and spinning class.

ROFL while I may care about the application of make up and trying to stay fit I do try to spread my interests in a variety of outlets.
(11-06-2014, 03:08 PM)BucFyre Wrote:
(11-06-2014, 03:06 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:

ROFL while I may care about the application of make up and trying to stay fit I do try to spread my interests in a variety of outlets.

That wasn't a shot at women. I'm betting the guys of that time had more important things to worry about than chest waxing and teeth whitening.

Big Grin

This, especially the handsome vs beautiful comment. And I would add that there was a difference between women of the aristocracy vs other women. This was a time when pepper and other spices were in lock boxes, so you can imagine how much beauty products cost. Also, a lot of women worked hard with their hands. And, if they ran a household, they probably had to work with wood ovens in the kitchen and wood furnaces for the house...so lots of soot.
It's my guess that a lot of women back in those days could kick a lot of men's asses these days.
[Image: TROP.jpg]

(11-06-2014, 03:49 PM)Steve N Wrote: It's my guess that a lot of women back in those days could kick a lot of men's asses these days.

That is indeed a certainty.