Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mozilla has had enough of Flash’s security flaws, disables Firefox plugin
firefox has disabled this plugin for security reasons.

Mozilla has blocklisted all vulnerable versions of Adobe Flash in its Firefox browser, following the discovery of numerous critical security flaws in the platform.

Mark Schmidt, head of Firefox Support, took to Twitter to announce the change.

Quote:BIG NEWS!! All versions of Flash are blocked by default in Firefox as of now. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p946 … #tech #infosec
9:35 PM - 13 Jul 2015

The news comes just a day after Facebook’s chief security officer Alex Stamos called for moves to force the extinction of Flash, as the plugin is reportedly being used to spread malware on users’ systems via security exploits.

Three major Flash vulnerabilities were discovered when 400GB of security firm Hacking Team’s internal documents and product source code were leaked online. Adobe is aware of the issues and has said that it will release a fix this week.

Mozilla has noted that Flash will remain blocked until Adobe releases a version which isn’t being actively exploited by publicly known vulnerabilities.

It’s is also trialing Shumway, an HTML5-based efficient renderer for the SWF format that’s used with Flash files.

With a major browser blocking the plugin by default and working on alternatives, it may be too little, too late for Adobe to rescue its aging multimedia platform.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/07/14...for-flash/
Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
[Image: facebook.png] [Image: Twitter%20Icon.jpg]
Yeah, I had to use Safari for my Duolingo German exercise this morning.
Which explains why my son couldn’t get the PBS Kids videos to work yesterday.

I’m guessing Adobe has people working on the patch.
Flash is outdated, it’s basically 8-track tape technology operating in an MP3 world.
(07-14-2015, 10:05 AM)AngryAphid Wrote: Flash is outdated, it’s basically 8-track tape technology operating in an MP3 world.

But what is the alternative? We got rid of all flash on our website and use HTLM 5 images. What platform does youtube use?
(07-14-2015, 10:25 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 10:05 AM)AngryAphid Wrote: Flash is outdated, it’s basically 8-track tape technology operating in an MP3 world.

But what is the alternative? We got rid of all flash on our website and use HTLM 5 images. What platform does youtube use?

I think Youtube can handle a variety of formats, but H.264 is preferred for cross platform use as well as greater quality.

Flash is/was fine for desktop machines, but clunky for touchscreen, battery powered devices.
(07-14-2015, 10:36 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:

I think Youtube can handle a variety of formats, but H.264 is preferred for cross platform use as well as greater quality.

Flash is/was fine for desktop machines, but clunky for touchscreen, battery powered devices.

So what to do about videos and images being blocked on just about every website I go to? Switch browsers?
(07-14-2015, 10:38 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:

So what to do about videos and images being blocked on just about every website I go to? Switch browsers?

I guess... I use Firefox, Safari and occasionally I use Opera with the DuckDuckGo Search engine.

Safari has yet to block Flash, but it's posable that Apple (via their long standing feud
with Adobe Flash) had already implemented better security from the flaws in Flash.
(07-14-2015, 10:48 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:

I guess... I use Firefox, Safari and occasionally I use Opera with the DuckDuckGo Search engine.

Safari has yet to block Flash, but it's posable that Apple (via their long standing feud
with Adobe Flash) had already implemented better security from the flaws in Flash.

Another article just popped up saying that facebook's head of security wants flash to die. They are getting attacked all of the sudden from several fronts. Kinda wish an alternative would have been in place with modzilla before they just up and blocked everything.
(07-14-2015, 10:58 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 10:25 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote: But what is the alternative? We got rid of all flash on our website and use HTLM 5 images. What platform does youtube use?

Another article just popped up saying that facebook's head of security wants flash to die. They are getting attacked all of the sudden from several fronts. Kinda wish an alternative would have been in place with modzilla before they just up and blocked everything.

Steve Jobs caught a lot of flack over his 2010 “Thoughts on Flash” open letter.

Since there is a natural backlash at all things Apple, the industry as a whole
didn’t take Mr. Jobs suggestion to move away from Flash too seriously.

My wife said some of her clients healthcare industry software uses web based
Help/Training/Testing that is based on Flash and have Firefox embedded as a default browser.
(07-14-2015, 11:21 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 10:58 AM)oklalittledixie Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 10:36 AM)AngryAphid Wrote: I think Youtube can handle a variety of formats, but H.264 is preferred for cross platform use as well as greater quality.

Steve Jobs caught a lot of flack over his 2010 “Thoughts on Flash” open letter.

Since there is a natural backlash at all things Apple, the industry as a whole
didn’t take Mr. Jobs suggestion to move away from Flash too seriously.

My wife said some of her clients healthcare industry software uses web based
Help/Training/Testing that is based on Flash and have Firefox embedded as a default browser.

Have you ever looked at what google actually cached on websites like that. Any flash shows up as a blank. It's horrible for SEO and google actually penalizes sites with huge amounts of flash all over the page.