Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Your Vehicle Have an Event Data Recorder?
I have to admit I was totally clueless about this until I came across the article below.  The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, car manufacturers and insurance companies want access to information stored in the device for crash investigations similar to an airplane's "black box."  On the surface I can understand this but we all know what tends to happen...more types of information will be stored over time impacting privacy rights and who will ultimately have access to the data that is being stored including hackers?  
Quote:Black boxes in cars aren't a new thing. The practice started in 1994 with cars from Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet and Pontiac. The black boxes were meant to help manufacturers learn how their cars performed in crashes.

Since the early 2000s, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been collecting black box information to get a better picture of the circumstances surrounding car accidents. In 2013, 96% of new cars sold in the United States came with a black box, and as of September 1, 2014, every new vehicle must have one installed.

While the first-generation event data recorders did little more than track whether or not the car's airbags deployed, recording and sensor technologies have become smaller and much more powerful. The NHTSA has mandated that every new recorder must track 15 variables, although older recorders might not have all of them.

The information includes vehicle speed, throttle position, airbag deployment times, whether the brakes were applied, if seatbelts were worn, engine speed, steering angles and more. Manufacturers may also include up to 30 additional data points if they want, but manufacturers say that doesn't include GPS location, video or audio.

Then there's the group everyone worries about - hackers. In most cases, I doubt hackers want your black box data. It would need to have a lot more data on you to make it worth their while.

Hackers are more interested in hacking cars so they can take control from a distance. Unfortunately, they're getting good at it, and it's getting easier as cars become more and more computer controlled.

In general, however, no one can pull data without your permission or a court order. Insurance companies can't use the data to set your rates unless you opt into a program, and those programs usually use another tracking unit. The rules are much less clear in states that haven't passed any legislation yet.

Here are some good info links:

Your Car's Hidden Black Box

Car Manufacturer Black Box List
I don't want anyone having that much access to my habits.
Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter!
[Image: facebook.png] [Image: Twitter%20Icon.jpg]
(07-03-2015, 02:28 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote: I don't want anyone having that much access to my habits.

Then you don't want Progressive Insurance. They want to monitor every mile you drive.
[Image: polls_3043150_2610_514040_answer_6_xlarge.jpeg]
Harley-Davidson's aren't equipped with gadgets like that.
(07-03-2015, 04:16 PM)ConservativeHerd Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 02:28 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote: I don't want anyone having that much access to my habits.

Then you don't want Progressive Insurance.  They want to monitor every mile you drive.

Progressive means exactly that. They have spent millions in trying to destroy conservatives. They won't be getting a dime from my account.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/10/07/p...ives-84803
This whole thing took a turn for the worst when the government found out that Toyota had access to this type of data for testing and researching their vehicles that crashed. That's when it became mandatory on all new cars. At present, the boxes only measures boring analytics, but the concern was that the government could add more things and track people .

I remember reading somewhere that Progressive (I think) allows you to install a "tracking/recording box" into your vehicle for lower rates. You promise not to speed and they monitor whether that's actually true or not....as well as other stuff. That program is just plain creepy.
(07-04-2015, 12:14 AM)Pharaoh Wrote: This whole thing took a turn for the worst when the government found out that Toyota had access to this type of data for testing and researching their vehicles that crashed.  That's when it became mandatory on all new cars.  At present, the boxes only measures boring analytics, but the concern was that the government could add more things and track people .

I remember reading somewhere that Progressive (I think) allows you to install a "tracking/recording box" into your vehicle for lower rates.  You promise not to speed and they monitor whether that's actually true or not....as well as other stuff.  That program is just plain creepy.

Bingo and what else are they using that data for. Who else are they giving it to...
We have actually worked with the SCHP Major Accident Investigation Team (MAIT) to remove these devices from especially damaged vehicles. Some models have had these type devices for quite some time.
(07-04-2015, 04:36 PM)kaplony Wrote: We have actually worked with the SCHP Major Accident Investigation Team (MAIT) to remove these devices from especially damaged vehicles. Some models have had these type devices for quite some time.

Can you elaborate more on that? What is the reason they are being removed?
(07-04-2015, 06:25 PM)oklalittledixie Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 04:36 PM)kaplony Wrote: We have actually worked with the SCHP Major Accident Investigation Team (MAIT) to remove these devices from especially damaged vehicles. Some models have had these type devices for quite some time.

Can you elaborate more on that? What is the reason they are being removed?

From what they told us they get the data to determine if vehicle systems were functioning, etc. I know right before I retired we removed one that they said recorded speed and if brakes had been applied, but I can't recall what kind of vehicle it was and it was pretty unrecognizable after the wreck.

I know in one commercial vehicle we spent the better part of a day peeling apart the device they wanted recorded everything.....time, direction of travel, speed at point of impact, if they applied the brakes, etc. but I am sure that was an aftermarket device because they already had a printout of the data that had been sent by a satellite. They wanted the data that was stored in the device to compare and confirm.

I wouldn't want one that provided real time data....but I wouldn't have a problem with a device that tracked the data but only did a hard record when there was a serious trigger. Like say when airbags deploy it locks down the last 5 minutes of data. That would be a great investigative and safety research tool.